Negotiation skills are critical throughout all aspects of colleges and universities.
Next Negotiations Institute: August 8 - 9, 2018
Negotiation skills are critical throughout all aspects of colleges and universities especially in creating value for your department. Competition for resources, space, funding, equipment, and opportunities require techniques for successful negotiation. This workshop is designed to help procurement professionals understand the negotiation process while learning strategies for analysis, develop decision making processes, and define methods for negotiations. You will learn how to define interests, set priorities, and develop mutually beneficial strategies for all parties.
Attendees at this event will earn 12.75 hours of continuing education. These hours may be applied toward ISM's C.P.M. / CPSM / CPSD recertification and/or A.P.P. re-accreditation, or UPPCC's CPPO/CPPB certification or recertification program requirements.
- Learn business interactions that involve negotiation and understand the many negotiation styles and strategies available to you to improve business relationships and outcomes
- Develop and practice techniques and skills to enhance your understanding of potential negotiated outcomes including ability to chart decision points, alternate solutions, and exit strategies
- Refine your understanding of positions, strength/weakness, and win/win tactics to improve outcomes in a shared governance model like higher education
- Understand elements of agreement, contract, and implementation
- Build a network of colleagues who have similar roles and responsibilities and who face many of the same challenges and opportunities
Key Take Aways
- Improved approach to professional and personal interactions that involve negotiation and give and take
- Toolkit for common interactions that involve everyday negotiation—personnel issues, budget/resource requests
- Understanding of common pitfalls in negotiations and how to mitigate those pitfalls
Who Should Attend
This workshop is designed for higher education professionals responsible for business administration in a college, division, department or other units including central administration. Individuals who regularly negotiate both internally for resources across campus and externally with third parties will gain perspective and strategies that will support needs of high-er education officers.
2018 Negotiations Institute Faculty
Associate Vice President of University Business Services,
Sustainability Operations Officer and Chief Procurement Officer, Arizona State University
Nichol is the current National Association of Educational Procurement President (2018-2019). She is responsible for multiple operations at Arizona State University including supply chain (procurement and materials management), auxiliaries, parking and transit, sustainability practices, risk management, physical security initiatives and environment health & safety. In addition to the national board of directors, Nichol has served in leadership positions in the Pacific region to include President in 2015. Nichol is a faculty member for NAEP and the Western Association of College and University Business Officers (WACUBO). She has nearly two decades of operations management experience and has held the following positions: Vice President of Operations for Boon Inc. and Keen Distribution; Senior Supply Chain Consultant at Clarkston Consulting; and multiple supply chain roles at Intel Corporation. Nichol holds a bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management from ASU (Summa Cum Laude), where she was honored as the Outstanding Graduating Senior for WP Carey College of Business and also holds a Master’s in Business Administration (Summa Cum Laude) from Duke University, where she was honored as a Fuqua Scholar.
For more information please contact Melanie Freeman at (443) 219-3614